Thursday, August 7, 2014

Guest Designer-Kelly Griglione!

Hello! It gives me great pleasure to introduce our guest designer to you!
She is the innovative, thinking-outside-the-box type of paper crafter-Kelly Griglione.
Kelly's brain is wired slightly differently....she often impresses her followers and card-makers like me with her ingenious and thoughtful designs. I strongly encourage you to take a look at her blog Notable Nest and you will definitely find something that prompts you to say: " Hm...why didn't I think of that? "

Kelly has made quite a few shape cards. In fact, our current challenge sample (see top right side bar) is contributed by Kelly. See the Charlie Brown ,squirrel, Dad, ball shape and owl card? Yup, they were all fabulously crafted by Kelly! Now let's hear it from Kelly!

Kelly: Hi folks! I am so very honored that Virginia asked me to share a shaped card for the sixth Virginia's View Challenge! Shaped cards are such a fun and easy way to make a card really stand out from the expected A2-sized cards. And you don't necessarily need fancy equipment to make one. Since I wanted to make the shape myself, I thought of a shape that's fairly simple and would fit in a standard envelope. A hat came to mind, so I sketched this one and cut it out with scissors. If sketching's not your thing, then bring up an image on your computer screen and trace it onto copy paper to make a template.
Kelly: Whenever you can, try and use the natural features of the shape to your advantage. For instance, the band of the hat makes a great place to line up the sentiment. The rest of the sentiment continues on the feather which is cut from pre-printed paper.

 Kelly: For the back of the card I chose to just cut out the main hat shape and not the brim, to avoid seeing double features when the card is standing open. A fun patterned paper on the inside reminds me of a lining on an expensive hat or coat. It's not much, but it adds a little somethin' : ) 
Kelly: Thanks so much to Virginia for hosting such a crazy-successful challenge for us all to play with and be inspired by! I know she spends a ton of hours to make this happen, and I would say to amazing results!!

Wow, how awesome are Kelly's card, instructions and tips! Please stop by Kelly's blog and give her some blog love! Thank you, Kelly, for sharing your big talent!

I hope this inspired you to create a shape card. And remember, you can use any die cut to create shapes. As long as it is not a square or a rectangle, then it qualifies!
Thanks for stopping by!


14 comments:

Darnell J Knauss said...

Kelly ROCKS everything she does!! What a fabulous card!! Hugs, Darnell

Lisa Lara said...

Very cute.

Sindhu said...

Kelly is a genius! Love this card!

Niki G said...

Kelly's done it again with her innovative and very clever shaped card! So trendy and fun!!

Lisa said...

How FUN is this!!! Great idea Kelly, you are a clever girl!

Cindy C. said...

Oh what a fun, fabulous shape card Kelly!!

Taunya Butler said...

Love, love, love this card - it is oozing with awesomeness and creativity!! So cool to see a shaped card of this type - so very well done!!

Kristie Goulet said...

Fabulous hat card, Kelly! So fun!!!

Kelly Griglione said...

Aww, Virginia, you are just too sweet! Thanks so much for the nice things you said. I was very honored when you asked me!! You've got the best overall challenge blog around : )

Miriam Prantner said...

Such a cool card, so dapper!

Shelly said...

Super AWESOME card!!! Love it!

conil said...

Yikes...wouldn't I love to be able to draw like this. The hat is simply "awesome". Not sure I could even trace that well, but I'm going to find an image and try it anyway.

~amy~ said...

*thud*
I think that Kelly is the queen of shaped cards...she never ceases to amaze me.

Angi Barrs said...

EEEK! I love Kelly's shaped card! Fabulous!