Sunday, December 7, 2014

Guest Designer-Alexandra Sirugue-Macleod

Happy Sunday, dear friends! It is my absolute pleasure to introduce to you my dear talented friend Alexandra as our guest designer for the "All Things Distressed" Challenge. I have known Alexandra since my early days of blogging (circa 2009). She and I are much alike in so many ways. We both enjoy cooking, traveling and making pretty cards and scrapboooking. Both of us came to North America to study and ended up settling here. She is French and married an American and I am Taiwanese and married a Canadian.  There is one special essence in all of Alexandra's work. I can't quite explain it but I attribute it to her artistic French flair! She can make any project look ARTFUL and effortless. Her ideas and designs are original and soulful. When you see her work, you'll know what I mean....She has prepared 3 cards for us!

CARD #1: Coloring with Distress Inks
Alexandra: I like to use the Distress Inks to color my stamped image for the soft watercolor effect it gives. It's easy to achieve, I usually dip my reservoir brush directly onto the Distress ink, it dries fast and if the color is too pale the first time around, I go back and add more of the same color or one of a different shade.
Alexandra: Adding another shade of brown to her hair for instance, added dimension.
Same for the bow she wears in her hair, the center part is darker that the edge thus creating some depth.
Alexandra:   the end of the message is found inside the card and is
CARD#2: Coloring with Distress Inks & Distressing the edges
Alexandra: If  I had to answer the question "what does distressing do?" I would have to say that it instantly adds dimension.
With card #1, we saw that varying the intensity of Distressing Inks creates dimension. Another way to add dimension to a piece of paper is to tear it or to distress its edges.

To achieve that look, all that is needed is a pair of old preferably scissors. Open them and glide the blades along the edges of your paper. In the card below, the distressed edges also add a sense of movement and personally they make me think of the marks on the ice...
 CARD#3: Combining Color Mists & Distress Inks
Alexandra: For this card, I started by spraying a background with three shades of color mists. Once it was dry, I stamped the image with Distress Ink "Brushed Corduroy". Then with my reservoir brush, I softly went over the lines to smudge them. The following step was to add color. This was also done with Distress Inks, the exact same way I did for card #1.
Alexandra: The last step was adding a darker shade of Distress ink to the edges of the image. I accentuated the process in the corners to, once again, create depth.

Wow, are you inspired yet? I bet you want to head to the craft table and start to get inky!?
Please join me and thank Alexandra for her beautiful guest design work here today.
You can visit Alexandra's blog at art scrap & more. She has MORE inspiring work in her blog.

Here is a photo of me and Alexandra. We met for the first time in Chicago (Oct. 2013).
Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Barb said...

Ah, one of my fave card designers! Alex is so talented! Love her unique and beautiful style! ♥

Hussena said...

Alexander's cards are so beautiful .. love the way she colors her images ..Her last card is simply stunning !!

~amy~ said...

yay for Alexandra! Love her style and the cards that are featured!

jintyoo7 said...

Beautiful work, and I see the gallery filling up with lots of lovely cards :-)

nancy littrell said...

TFS your Alexandria and Virginia story:-) You sound like fast friends with so much in common. Loved all 3 of Alexandria's cards and her fun descriptions. Plan to play soon. TFS

Shelly said...

Yay, Alexandra! These are so fun and pretty!

LauraJane:) said...

AMAZING coloring with distress inks..LOVE the color misted card Alexandra!!

Barb Ghig said...

Special thanks to Alexandra for sharing her beautiful creations with us! I truly am inspired now to create my card!