Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Guest Designer--Danielle Flanders

Hello, friends! 
I am so honored to have our first guest designer for this challenge! 
Please help me welcome the uber talented Danielle Flanders!
Danielle is so well-known in the paper-crafting industry. Her style and designs are quite the trend setters! In fact, I find her designs inspiring and quintessential.
Just recently I took a class "Cards with Dimensions" from Danielle in Craftsy and I really really enjoyed her class!
http://www.craftsy.com/?ext=SAS_General&utm_source=ShareASale&utm_medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=General&initialPage=true&SSAID=1083364
Boy, I learned quite a few design tips from Danielle!
http://www.craftsy.com/class/cards-with-dimension-lovely-layers-textures-embellishments/4944?_ct=sbqii-sqjuweho-dum&_ctp=2&rceId=1428359803004~6rwbdc4m
Adding layers and dimensions are Danielle's specialty, in my view. I highly recommend that you take her class if you have not yet done so. You will not regret it!
And guess what? Because Danielle is SUPER sweet and generous, she is offering us readers
...... (yes, you!!)....

 50% off the class ----> sign up for the class here! <---- BEST deal you can get!
It's so easy to sign up. You can use your e-mail or Facebook account (like I did) to sign up for the class!

Let's hear from Danielle now!

Hello card:
Danielle: I love dimension, but don't like overshadowing the focal point of the card, so a great way to add dimension and interest to your card background is with dry embossing. Here I've used a Maggie Holmes floral embossing folder to dry emboss the white cardstock in the background. I love the subtle texture it adds! The flowers were die cut and stamped with Papertrey Ink's Quilted: Spring stamp and coordinating die set. The "Hello" is cut with the Noted die by Papertrey Ink with Aqua Mist cardstock. 
Danielle: Did you notice the dots on the hello? I added texture to that also with a Swiss Dot embossing folder by Cuttlebug. Dry embossing is so addicting, and you can emboss almost anything...even wood veneer like I mentioned in my Layers and Dimension class with Craftsy. Although this card is full of texture and dimension, it's very flat for mailing.

Hugs card:
Danielle: On the background of this card, I created a watercolored stripe effect by cutting out a striped die cut to use as a stencil, placing it over my cardstock and watercoloring through the openings. To do this, I used the Cover Plate: Stripes Diagonal die by Papertrey Ink as a stencil. Next, I added a vellum panel! I am just so addicted to adding vellum panels over the backgrounds to soften the whole look! You can see a bit of the stripes peeking out the sides. I've machine stitched the vellum at the top, then added a few more details. 
Danielle: Vellum is another chapter included in my Craftsy class. There are so many things you can do with it! Over the top, I've added a Scribbles Circle die and another Quilted: Spring die cut that I've stamped. For a sentiment, I've cut a Big Hugs die and stamped a sentiment with Mat Stack 5 Collection - all supplies you can find at Papertrey Ink. Small groupings like this on a card allow the design to have some "white space" around it and keep the items on the card from feeling like they are floating away. This keeps the card feeling cohesive.

Are you INSPIRED yet? 
I think Danielle just gave us a free mini class right here! You've got to check out her class at Craftsy!
BIG ginormous thanks to Danielle for sharing her talent with us. Please stop by Danielle's blog 
(Homespun with Heart) and give her some well-deserved blog love! Thank you for stopping by!

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Gorgeous cards!

Kara Lynne said...

Danielle's cards are gorgeous! She has such an eye for balance on her cards!

Cindy C. said...

Wow Danielle's cards are GOR-GEOUS!!! Thanks for the inspirations!!

Taunya Butler said...

What a treat to see Danielle's creations - they are masterpieces - so much texture and dimension without the bulk!! Amazingly done and super inspiring - just like you said, Virginia!!! I find these cards both to be so very lovely and full of interest and eye-pleasing details!! So impressive!!