Thursday, November 12, 2015

Guest Designer-Karin Akesdotter (Part 1)

 Hello friends! First of all, I am applauding you for taking up this month's challenge. When I decided on the theme, I thought the entries are going to be low because "Textures" seem like an unpopular and ...quite a challenge! From the entries so far, you have proved me wrong! So, yay!
Today's guest is one of my favorite card makers! She is a needle/textile teacher, water-colorist and card-making extraordinaire from Gothenberg, Sweden. I had known this artist/crafter for quite a few years now and every time I see her beautiful and detailed work, I am always in awe and am totally delighted. Please welcome the talented Karin Akesdotter (Peppermint Patty Papercraft). Karin is on numerous design teams and has been published uncountable times. We are honored to have Karin here today!

Karin: Hi Everyone! It's a very excited Karin posting today because I was asked to guest design for one of my absolute favorite challenges;  Virginia's View - Yay - so fun - I LOVE Virginia's theme and inspiring posts and feel so honoured to be asked. If I look at the number of players she has month after month I guess it is a favorite challenge for many of you too! This month it is all about texture.

Karin: Because of the season I decided to go with two different types of snow fall textures.  For my first card I started out by stamping the background - first once in a light grey tone - embarrassing but it was actually created by inking my Dirty stamp with Versamark and stamping it on grey cardstock - when I realized my mistake I thought it looked beautiful and decided to ink a darker set of trees in front of the lighter ones to create distance in the scene.
I then used my stitched rectangle die as a viewfinder and diecut what I thought was the best composition of the trees.
Karin: When I had my tree bg ready and diecut, I held my panel in Place with some Washi ape and then placed my snowfall stencil on top where I wanted the snow to come. Before applying the embossing paste I covered some of the snowflakes on the stencil with Washi tape to avoid getting too many "half" ones along the edges of my panel. 

When my snowflakes had dried I matted the scene to a slightly larger piece of dark grey cardstock Before attaching it to my card base with foam adhesive.
The moose is stamped on watercolor paper and colored with Derwents watercolor pencils. 
Karin: I wouldn't have said I use texture a lot on my cards but just for fun I went through my folder of cards made 2015 and found quite a few different uses of texture.  Hope they will inspire you to try some new texture on your cards and to play along with Virginia's fun challenge.
Please come back on the 14th when I'm sharing another card with a different kind of snowfall texture. Have a great day, big hugs, Karin



Well, how about that? Karin's work is inspiring and that I love that she went all out in sharing her thoughts and creativity on this Textured subject matter. Will you please stop by Karin's Blog and leave her some love? We'll be back for one more amazing post from Karin! Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

Marianne said...

Wow, Karen's cards are all beautiful and so full of texture. Thanks for the inspiration.

~amy~ said...

Yay for Karin...I ADORE her style!

LauraJane:) said...

I admire Karin's subtle texture in her cards...YAY! part two?

donna mikasa said...

I'm a big fan of Karin's work. Love seeing her use of texture and looking forward to Part 2!

Shelly said...

This is sooo cute!! Love!